General der Kavallerie Philipp Kleffel, Commander of L. Armeekorps, greets a group of Spanish officers from the Blue Division (División Española de Voluntarios). This division was known in German as Spanische Freiwilligen Division (later it was officialy re-designated 250. Infanterie-Division), but was commonly referred to as the División Azul or Blaue Division (Blue Division - supposedly from the blue shirts of the Falangists). The Blue Division fought on the Volkhov River front and was afterwards switched to assist in the siege of Leningrad. In October 1943 it was pulled out of the front line, and a month later it was returned to Spain.